One of the biggest surprise to me throughout "toddlerhood" was the developmental changes that take place on a monthly, sometimes weekly basis. The latest developement was Brayden's ability to communicate emotions. Two examples.
Last week we had a playdate almost every day. Over and over, "teaching opportunities" presented themselves when it came to how Brayden should treat his friends, etc. On Friday night another "opportunity" presented itself when he got too rough playing with another two year old friend, Cora. I rushed him to a private room and told him, "Oh no Brayden! Oh no! Brayden made Cora cry. Oh no!" and disciplined him. He always seems to feel bad afterwards, but he is still working on self control in the moment before. A couple hours later I took him to go to the bathroom. He sat on the toilet, elbows on knees, hands cupping his face. He looked at me with the sweetest face and said, "Mom... I'm sad." I said, "what did you say?" Brayden repeated, "Mom, I feel sad." I asked why and he sighed, "Caylen (which is what he calls Cora) cried." My heart just melted, but I held it together and reinforced what I have been telling him. "Brayden is a nice boy and he needs to be nice to friends." I told Cora's mom and she said Brayden had recently walked up to Cora and gave her a hug for no reason! Deep down Brayden is such a sweet little boy.
Earlier today Brayden and I were singing the anthem to "Bob the Builder" (haven't watched it in months, but he still seems to sing it daily). At the and of the song he hugged me and looked into my eyes and exclaimed, "Oh mom, I love that song!"
Might not seem like a big deal to most, but this new milestone is just adorable to a mommy. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment